At Packaging Corporation of America (PCA), we think of ourselves as more than a box manufacturer. We are an ideas and solutions company. We seek to be the leader in helping our customers — large and small — package, transport and display products of all kinds. It just happens to be that corrugated products are our area of expertise.
At PCA, you’ll find the best people in the industry operating in a “golden rule” culture. We actively promote mutually rewarding relationships with each other and our customers by advocating respect for every individual, ethical and fair practices, and the highest standards in what we say and do. PCA is proud to have a highly skilled and experienced team leading the way.
As one of the largest producers of containerboard and corrugated packaging products in the U.S., PCA offers customers broad expertise and economies of scale, while our multiple plant locations let us rapidly meet the local needs of our customers.
We are seeking a Sr. Tax Accountant, Sales and Use & Property
at our Lake Forest Corporate Headquarters.
This individual will research and reach accurate conclusions for complex sales and use and property tax issues in a timely manner, to work on sales and use tax audits, to assist with customer sales tax exemption certificates, to supervise the preparation and timely filing of outsourced sales and use and property tax return compliance, to prepare tax account reconciliations for both sales and use and property taxes, to assist with property tax accruals, and to respond to inquiries from company personnel, customers, vendors and taxing authorities.
- Research and respond to inquiries and notices from state and local sales and use taxing authorities, property tax authorities, vendors, customers, and company personnel.
- Research and analyze complex sales and use tax issues. Must be able to effectively communicate these findings, both orally and in writing, to various financial and non-financial personnel within the company.
- Assist with state and local sales and use tax audits. This includes procuring necessary detailed information, managing the audit process, discussions with the auditors, preparation of requested schedules, formation of dispute workpapers and support, post-audit documentation and communicating with various PCA personnel.
- Review and approve the proper handling of sales tax exemptions including the maintenance and use of CertCapture software to organize and house exemption certificates.
- Work with outside firms to ensure accurate and timely filing of sales and use tax returns and property tax compliance filings.
- Oversee maintenance of tax licenses/permits.
- Monitor state and local sales and use tax developments, including understanding how these developments affect the company’s operations.
- Identify and implement sales and use tax planning opportunities through review of laws, regulations and the filing of special exemptions, deferrals, and credits.
- Know and follow policies and procedures of the company, share information that would benefit other members of the team and find ways to improve the delivery of service to our customers.
- Strive to continually strengthen PCA’s business philosophy of meeting needs and exceeding expectations for customers. This includes supporting PCA’s Commitment to Service which involves doing what's right for our customers, focusing on strategies that add value and support growth, and keeping the promises that we make.
Competitive pay and benefit package.
Please apply for this position at Local Job Network:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent is required and a CPA is preferred.
- 3 to 6+ years of experience with a preferred focus in the state sales and use tax area. Experience in the manufacturing industry is preferred.
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and consistently meeting deadlines are required.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Tax Compliance Software, and On-Line Tax Research Databases is required.
PCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.